International Association for Ontology and its Applications
The International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA) is a non-profit organization that aims to promote interdisciplinary research and international collaboration at the intersection of philosophical ontology, linguistics, logic, cognitive science, and computer science, as well as in the applications of ontological analysis to conceptual modelling, knowledge engineering, knowledge management, information-systems development, library and information science, scientific research, and semantic technologies.
Relevance for OntoCommons
The exchange of knowledge between OntoCommons and IAOA is beneficial as they share similar activities:
- Educating interested stakeholders on what ontologies are and how they can be effectively utilized;
- Promoting cooperation among public and private institutions, cultural associations, consortia, and cooperative societies that pursue similar aims;
- Establishing connections with national and international institutions that pursue similar aims;
- Supporting the development of collaborations between research and industry;
- Supporting international scientific exchanges, paying particular attention to rising and developing countries;
- Supporting the publication of journals and books, potentially through direct agreements with publishing companies;
- Stimulating research in areas related to the Association’s purpose through the establishment of scholarships, fellowships, and awards;
- Organizing, potentially in cooperation with related organizations, scientific meetings, conferences, educational activities and similar events;
- Creating temporary or permanent groups comprising members who share specific interests.
Collaboration with OntoCommons
- IAOA members joined the OntoCommons - kick-off of DORIC-MM 2021 workshop and the Top-Level and Mid-Level Ontologies Multi-Disciplinary Workshop.
- IAOA members are being invited to become OntoCommons experts and contribute to the project's activities and workshops.
- OntoCommons will use IAOA's recommendations, standards, etc., to contribute to the project's activities and outputs.